Monday, March 19, 2018

Kaitlyn's Birth Story




On November 18th 2016 I woke up with a brutal headache making my head feel like it was about to explode. Thinking it was another hormone migraine I tried to go back to sleep but found that close to impossible so decided to down 4 bottles of water next blaming it on dehydration. When I still had the headache 30 minutes later I got up to hop in the shower. When I got up I felt an agonizing pain in my feet. Looking down I noticed they were triple their normal size. I began to get worried but nothing worried me as much as when suddenly my vision went black. Immediately I called for my boyfriend and told him I couldn’t see and needed to go to the hospital knowing Brain cysts and tumors run in my family at a young age. We got to the hospital and my blood pressure was 178/ 89. Nothing to major but high for me. They hooked me up to the monitors and my blood pressure went up to 190/ 98. They took my blood pressure one last time and it was 192/100. They then unhooked me from everything and sent me home telling me I was fine. When I got home things just got worse from there. I started passing out. Was up all night throwing up. I called my OBGYN in the morning of November 19th 2016 explaining what was going on and they told me to take Tylenol and tums and try to get some rest and call back in 5 hours if nothing was better. Of course 5 hours later I called back feeling even worse and they told me they were super busy and call back in an hour and hung up. I called back an hour very irritated and told them I was coming in whether they wanted me to come in or not because something was not right. I go there and yet again they hook me up to the monitors. Blood pressure was now 210/120. They told me congratulations we are going to start the inducing process and you aren’t leaving here without a baby. 

They sent me into my labor and delivery suite and told me they would be using cervidik overnight. They out in the cervidil and that was it. Excited and relieved I finally got some rest with nausea medication. I woke up November 20th not feeling any contractions. At 5 AM they came in to check on me and take out the cervidil. She tried reaching in to find it and then I felt an extreme pain. She pulled it out and apologized saying that the person had put it in backwards which is why it hurts to bad and hadn’t worked all night. My vagina was sore and swollen at this pint so I told them no way were they doing more cervidil. They then started me in the pill. For the rest of the day I waited. I could feel some contractions but nothing too crazy. My blood pressure was still very high. On November 21 they encouraged lots of walking. I was still only 1.5 cm. The contractions were picking up but again I could definitely manage. On a November 22 I woke up definitely feeling the contractions! Now on day 3 of beginning stages of labor I was definitely tired. They checked and I was a 3. I walked a lot, bounced in the ball a lot. Ordered all the spicy food I could! At 5:39 they broke my waters for me. Around 6:30 I had my bloody show and the contractions were very painful. I was definitely not expecting it. At 8 pm I went into the tub. At 9:30 I asked for the laughing gas in the tub. HIGHLY recommend!!! It was amazing! You still feel the contractions but you’re so looped you just didn’t care! At 11:30pm the contractions were getting worse so I got out of the tub and asked for the medicine through the IV. They told me I wouldn’t feel the contractions. The pitocen was up to 23 now. By 11:45 I was all clenched up telling the nurse I wanted the epidural. They called in the anesthesiologist and he did my first epidural. At 1 am I woke up and told them the epidural was no longer working. I was in so much pain that the baby went into distress because I kept holding my breath. At 2:30 AM the anesthesiologist came back and did epidural number two. At 5 I woke up feeling all contractions again. At 6 I got epidural number 3. At 8:15 on November 23,2016 epidural number 3 wore off. We started talking about a c section since it was now 4 days of labor and was still only at 4 cm. 

My water had been broken 14 hours. At 11:30 I agreed to a c section because babies heart rate was beginning to get low. At 12:30 my vision went black. I don’t remember much after this part since my body went into shock. All I know is that my blood pressure sky rocketed and baby flat lined. Doctors came into the room and told me we needed to do a c section now and couldn't wait any longer. They threw scrubs to my boyfriends and wheeled me to the OR. They went to make the incision and I felt every little thing. I started screaming. I remember my boyfriend coming in freaking out asking why I was screaming and there was so much blood. They put the mask over my face and that was the last thing I remembered. At 1:16 pm on November 23 my perfect little boy Stanley Michael Shepard was born. Weighing 6 pounds 13 oz and 19.5 inches long. I wasn’t awake to hear his first cry. But then something in me to this day remembers it vaguely. I finally woke up around 5:30 that night feeling like I had been hit by a truck. Stanley thankfully was fine but I was on some medication because I nearly had a stroke. 

My advice would be take the birthing class. I think I didn’t have a successful labor due to being sos tressed and not controlling my breathing. My body was so tense I couldn't dilate. My biggest advice though is LISTEN to yourself. You know something is wrong. I didn’t end up with ore eclampsia. Just hypertension related to pregnancy. I’m now 6 months with baby #2 and have already planned my birthing class and to have the baby in a different hospital! Thank you for reading :)

Lets thanks Kaitlyn for sharing her amazing story...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts