Thursday, February 22, 2018

Emily’s Birth Story


This blog may contain some graphic content and may be offensive to some readers. If you are not comfortable with reading about a child's birth, please move onto one of our other blogs. We will not allow any negative comments on this blog  and please ask that you keep in mind that this was a very personal story that one of our bloggers is sharing. Thank You

Well, it was the night of Jan 4, 2016. I was very restless that night and knew something wasn't right. I leaned over and woke up my boyfriend and told him that I had to go in just to be safe. I had been having Braxton Hicks the past three weeks on and off, so I could tell if they may be them, but this felt totally different. It had always been my plan to have a home birth, so I could be in the safety of my own home and surrounded by the ones I loved. Frantically, we got ready but what came next was a huge shock and definitely not expected.

My water broke and drenched my clothes and seeped across the floor. It looked as though I peed my pants and quite honestly, made me embarrassed to have done it right in front of my boyfriend. I immediately told my boyfriend to call my mom and the midwife as I knew this is it, my little man is coming whether I like it or not. Contractions began about every 20 minutes after my water had broke and they were getting pretty intense. I had never felt anything like this. It felt as if my stomach was being ripped piece by piece. I knew I wasn't going to handle it well and I was on the floor curling up in pain as it hurt so bad even though I knew it was just the beginning.

My mom arrived about an hour after we called her and immediate came to my aid to help me over to the bed. About 30 min after she arrived, the midwife arrived. She immediately told me to strip off my bottoms so she could check my progress. When she inserted her fingers, it caught me so off guard because they were like icicles. She said I was at 3 cm but that I still had a while to go. She also mentioned I should try and walk around the house to see if that would get the show on the road. It was a struggle to walk around as the pain was so intense and my lower half was already hurting so bad. Every 20 steps I would have to stop and hunch over or lean on my boyfriend cause of the intensity of the pain. I could see that he was super worried and didn't like seeing me like this. He did try to lighten the mood by playing with my chest area. All I could say was "really" in a painful but more irritated manner. I continued to walk around for about an hour hoping that it would do something for my progression.  My midwife checked me again and I was at 6 so dilated, which was definitely some progress.

I asked her if I could try to soak in the tub. I had read that the water takes some of the pressure away and helps a little with the pain. She did recommend that I don't deliver in the tub and that the water can only do so much and there was a possibility that some complications could arise. I definitely did not want that. She then stated that I get back on the bed or at least out of the pool when it was time. I did end up getting in the water and wow, it felt amazing, almost as if I was pain and stress free. But as we know, that can only last so long. After about an hour and a half in the water the midwife decided that she should check me again. I was at 9 cm this time, so it was almost show time. She decided that it would be best to get out and head to the bed for the final stages before having to push. It was a struggle to get out of the water cause my legs felt week, but with the help of my boyfriend I was able to get it up slowly. I made my way to the bed just as another contraction hit which almost caused me to crash to the floor.

About 45 minutes of contractions later, I was so over this and was saying to myself to "get this baby out of me". The midwife decided that she would check me and this time she gave me some relieving news, but also dreaded at the same. I was 10 cm, but that meant TIME to PUSH. Definitely wasn’t looking forward to that as I was already in immense pain and discomfort. I had read that being on your hands and knees was supposed to help with the pressure, so I decided to try that position. Of course my boyfriend was being stupid again, we wanted to film and photograph the labor and birth, but I didn’t expect for him to be all in up my private area. Also sticking the camera in my face to get my facial expressions during the whole thing. I think I even yelled at him “stop that crap and get over here now!” I wanted to hold his hand and maybe even break it, I wouldn’t do that 😂. I began to bear down as hard as a I could. I felt like I was taking a massive poop 💩 . I could feel the area stretch as I pushed with everything I got. Contraction after contraction, I would push. In between, I would be having my mom with a wet rag to cool me down and also chew on some ice. After about 45 min of being on my hands and knees, my legs felt like they were dead so I decided I wanted to do the standard on the back with the legs spread. I got in position with my boyfriend holding one leg and the other being held by my mom. My boyfriend had given the camera to one of the midwife's assistants and had asked her to film the delivery. Man, I hated having a camera all up in my private areas, just felt awkward. Thinking that I was gonna be watching this back in a few months kind of creeped me out. 

I continued to push while on my back and all was going well, the midwife said that’s it keep going 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and breathe. After about 2 and a half hours of pushing, the midwife yelped “ I can see the head!” She asked if I wanted to reach down and feel my sons head as I replied with "sure why not" and reached down between my legs. When I felt the head, it was all gooey and slimy, but an amazing feeling to finally feel what had been in there for 9 months. She told me that my son was beginning to crown and now I would need to push harder then ever when I felt the next urge to push. All of this sudden a burning sensation came over my whooha area and it felt like someone was holding a lighter down there and burning me. I had read that thing was the ring of fire and happened when the baby was crowning due to the stretching  to allow baby’s head to pass through.

She told me that squatting might help with the gravity and allow him to pass through easier. One of her assistants went and grabbed a pad to put on the floor and she had me get in a semi squad position of sorts, down but being held up by my boyfriend with his hands under my armpits. By now, I was in the full nude with everyone having their eyes on me. I felt kind of ashamed to be nude in front of all these people, but once that burning sensation took over again I felt like “screw it”. I began to bear down with all I had and the midwife had her hands down holding the head while I pushed. After a few minutes of pushing, she told me to stop and just breathe. She grabbed a hold of his head and shoulder to help guide him out. Not gonna lie it hurt like hell, but after a few more light pushes I heard a cry. My son was here. I looked down and could see him covered in blood and fluids. The midwife cleaned him up and suctioned his mouth and nose. All of this sudden, he let out this loud cry and began to flail his arms and legs. I pretty much broke down in tears at that moment. Was it cause of all the pain I had endured and just happy it was over or was it that I realized I just became a mom and had a created a baby inside me. 

She handed me my son and immediately, I looked into those current eyes and his little hand gripped mine. I bawled, we're all crying at the amazing moment.

Main thing I can tell you ladies is listen to your bodies during labor. The female body was made and designed to carry and birth children. You can never really prepare yourself for what expect because you never be know.

Below is a useful link if your considering an a home birth

Thanks so much for reading my story 💋 Please let me know what you thought by leaving a comment below or you can send an email to soontobemommies2018@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. I think you are brave and amazing for doong a home birth! I am not having a home birth but I still want to do things as natural as possible.

    Also I appreciate your honesty with your feelings towards your boyfriend lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and reading my story
      -E

      Delete
  2. E :-) thanks for sharing your magical journey. Your story is full of empowerment and bravery. Your boyfriend is sweet for trying to treasure the memory however, I can diff relate how embarrassing and ackward it is to be under all that Pain and be filmed.
    I wanted a home birth so badly. I am glad you were able to afford one. I enjoyed reading your story because it's how I envisioned mine to be. I love hearing all about natural births especially home births because they prove how strong and capable us women really are. We don't need a hospital making our births a business. Again thank you for sharing and supporting home deliveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m sorry you didn’t get the home birth you wanted, but no matter what kind of birth you have it’s amazing experience because your bringing life into this world
      -E

      Delete
  3. Wow E.

    What a story!!
    I can’t find the words how strong you were.

    Loved reading it!❤️

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your labor story. It is very brave to stay home. You did amazing! I could not stay home myself (mostly cause we have white carpet almost everywhere haha + I am scared of hemorrhage). I want my husband to film but he does not want but now you have shared your story with your boyfriend filming all areas in a close-up mode I am not sure if I want that still haha.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts