Saturday, February 17, 2018

Cravings

Cravings.... OMG those cravings that every pregnant woman gets. For me, it's a blessing and a curse and here's why.

Before I got pregnant, I was a pretty healthy twenty one year old who loved to work out and "try" to eat as healthy as I can. I actually prided myself in the way that I looked and was almost to having a six-pack. The first craving I had was something as little as a Snickers bar. Not too bad, right? Wrong! That small Snickers bar craving grew into the almighty monster craving of a plain double cheeseburger from McDonald's. But not just from any McDonald's. The McDonald's that I used to go to from my childhood over an hour away all because of a rather insignificant memory of when I had a cheeseburger from there that had just the right amount of grease on it about a decade ago. I had just started my shift at the daycare I was working at at the time so I went a full eight hours with this craving. When 3:00 pm finally came around, it was the only thing I could think of. So what did I do? I drove a whole hour to get a plain double cheeseburger and still to this day don't regret it one bit. I live five minutes from a McDonald's but my craving didn't care. It wanted what it wanted and wasn't going away until it was satisfied.

As I sat there in the parking lot, devouring this cheeseburger, I thought to myself, is this what my life has come to? Driving an hour to inhale fast food? I threw the evidence away and made the trek back home, a bit ashamed of myself, before my boyfriend got off of work. 

That was the beginning of the end for me. I finally confessed to Justin and all was well. At least until that night when I had a chocolate milk craving. I slowly began to realize that there is no way around my cravings, that's just who I am as a pregnant mom. Fortunately, my cravings have decreased a bit and nothing as major but I still have days where I just have to give in. And you know what? That's okay. I know my son is healthy even though I have cut my gym time in half and don't eat only organic meats and protein shakes. I heard the heartbeat and it is strong just like his momma. You can follow the mommy-to-be apps straight down to the very last detail but our mothers, and their mothers, didn't have an app to tell you what to eat, what to drink, how much exercise you should have, when you have had too much exercise, or whether it should use cloth or disposable diapers when the baby is born. We came out just fine and healthy enough to be where we are now about to have babies of our own.

We now make weekly trips to the grocery store to pick out food that might be a craving and Justin never complains about having to get out of bed to go make me bacon or when he comes back with a quart of ice cream that I don't want anymore.

I still have a lot of pregnancy left to go so wish me... and Justin, good luck!

-D
____________________________________

My cravings during my pregnancy were a lot different than our other moms. It’s like they say, every woman is different. Let’s just say I probably craved some things that if you saw them today would make you throw up lol😆. One major thing I craved and now makes me nauseous just thinking about it was pickles with peanut butter. I know, gross right!?! Not sure what it was but I couldn’t get enough of it and could eat it 24/7. I think the biggest craving I had though was ice cream and strawberries. It seems like ice cream is a big craving during pregnancy for a lot of women. Must be the flavor and sugar in it though I know the favorite flavor can vary. For me, it was all about chocolate chip cookie dough with strawberries on the side and whip cream. Sounds good I know ❤️

-E
____________________________________

We most definitely do have different cravings than other moms to be, and some times are waiting for the worst to come. For me, I was similar to D as in the factor of staying fit and eating right. I only had cravings in my first trimester, and that was cranberry juice. Could not get enough of it! My boyfriend and I would make weekly trips to Costco just to buy there larger jug of juice. We wouldn't buy just one, OH NO SIR'Y! We'd buy at least 7! I would drink through a whole 3L jug of it a day!

I'm not sure where that craving started. I've always been a fan of the classic Ocean Spray Cranberry Cocktail, but never imagined it would grow into a crazy obsession. If we ran out I'd call my boyfriend Dean at work begging him to bring some home with him. He of course had no choice but to get it if he didn't want to deal with me complaining that I was thristy, even though we had a variety of things in our fridge to quench my thirst.

Now being currently on my third trimester, my desire to ALWAYS have cranberry juice has died down. Now its just a want of any kind of food or drink. But of course, if we go out and there's a choice to get cranberry juice I jump to it. Having the satisfaction of the ice cold tart flavored drink touch my tongue is still one of the best things I've encountered.

-X

2 comments:

  1. Nice stories !

    The craving part, oh god haha still eating alot more especially banana’s ,vanilla/chocolate pudding. Strawberries/pudding Currently drinking alot of Bitter lemon and cola. But the special combinations i don’t have any as alot other moms to be have. Like suddenly eating pickles for example i still don’t and won’t eat them since im pregnant. Also before i was pregnant. I eat normal and the things i eat in general. Nothing has changed, only alot more ofcourse. 😅

    Liked this part of your blog to E. Keep up the good work, excited to be reading more. 🤗

    Xoxo. 💋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some pretty interesting cravings you have :D Sure like your pudding :) Pickles and a no for me too

      -X

      Delete

Popular Posts