Saturday, March 10, 2018

Children & Electronics

In this next blog we are giving our own personal outlooks on this topic. We are not saying that children and electronics are good nor bad. This is a topic that we find interesting and want to share our thoughts about.

Growing up in the 90's was great! Tablets weren't a thing yet, video games were just starting out, cellphones were just booming. We went on long bike rides and did crazy jumps to prove that girls were one of the guys. We played games outside. Some good old kick the can, man hunt, or hide-&-seek. For me, I have an idea of what it's like seeing young children and electronics since I have a 10 year old brother. I myself, I don't like it.

I have no problem with a bit of TV time. Sometimes children wake up before parents, turn the tv on to watch a few episodes of whatever their favorite tv show is at that time, or even some tv as a family time before bed. But once it gets to a point where all they do is sit there and record tv shows, one after the other, not even new ones! That drives me crazy. I also understand that sometimes we as adults sit in front of the tv and binge watch a few episodes here and there, but we earned the right to do it. 

I start to have a problem with tablets when they sit there and download games and play them all day. Glued to the screen. You try talking to them, and we get no reply. Yes, we are the same, but again, we're adults. I dislike when I see parents at restaurants giving their child tablets to shut them up. Yes I do understand that that's there choice to do so, but than why bring your child out? Why do not a lot of children still play with dolls, read a book, play dress up, or even call a friend and ask if they want to go for a bike ride to the park and play lava? Why must they be connected to their friends through Xbox, Instagram, and even Facebook? Last time I checked, you have to be 13 to even get an account. I don't see it being okay to let your child pose for pictures or talk online in a video game to people they don't know. Sadly, now a days, there's far to many creeps.

When my daughter wants to get a phone I stand strongly behind me telling her that if she want's one, she needs to buy it herself and get a pay-as-you-go. Growing up that was our rule and I honestly hated it at the time but understand now why my parents would say that. I will budge a little if she ends up being in a lot of after school activities as for the only reason for her to contact us right away. But if she's at the age of 8-13 asking for one, it wont happen.

As you can probably tell this topic gets under my skin, but I stand strongly behind my own personal outlook on this topic. Again, this is my own opinion and my own choices once my daughter is born. Every parent is different and parents differently 

-X
____________________________________

This topic can really get heated between a conversation between moms. I have actually heard both sides of an argument before and both actually had some pretty good points.l

On one hand, tablets and TV could be beneficial to a child by having a lot of learning shows and games in a way that would keep them engaged for a long period of time. They can be portable (tablet wise) so it can keep your child busy and distracted for potentially high stressed situations for you as the mom.

One the other hand, it's no secret that kids have been quite obsessed with TV and tablets including video games and it can make it so that they only want to focus on that. I have a friend whose son has been playing video games since he was two and to this day only wants to play Playstation whenever he is home. He is now almost ten. When he is out with his mother, she hands him a tablet to play whatever he wants or watches a downloaded movie to basically keep his entertained and out of the way. I feel as though some, not all, parents use these devices to be lazy in their parenting so they don't have to do anything with their children.

It leads to the question of what would I let my child do and honestly that can get really hard. I would like to say that my son wouldn't be anywhere near electronics until he's eighteen years old and will excel by doing puzzles and being outside all the time but if we all really wanna be real with each other, sometimes we gotta do what we have to to give us a break.

In my opinion, I feel like if they are being used for the correct reasons, learning games, thought-provoking shows, etc, I think they should absolutely be used. I also feel like a time limit should be set in place so then they have the opportunity to focus on other activities such as exploring the outdoors, art, and music.

Now, my opinion on cellphones is a little bit more off of experience than anything. My parents were pretty overprotective when my sisters and I were growing up. We didn't run around our little town at the age of ten like a lot of the kids our age did. Back then it was something that really bugged me because I was in bed while I could hear all the neighborhood kids laughing and yelling as they played but now I miss the seven o'clock bedtimes. My father dropped us off and my mother picked us up before and after school and they always picked us up after sports practices so really we never needed our own phone. When I was about thirteen years old, I got a Nokia pre-paid phone for my birthday. This phone only had calling capabilities to my father, my mother, my grandmother, my aunt, and 911. I feel like having this phone for emergencies only made my parents feel safe when I started to get into junior high sports that began to be further away and tournaments started to take up a lot of my time. The older I got, the more freedom I would have with my phones my parents had gotten me but all the way through graduating high school, I never had a smartphone. When I decided to enlist in the military was when I broke down and got a smartphone to stay in touch with my friends and family while I was away.

Since then, I have got caught up in the smartphone hype and have the Galaxy S8 Plus so I know first hand how quick it can absorb a large aspect of your life and I don't want the same for my son.

-D
____________________________________

Basically how I feel with technology is that it brain washes today generation and prevents them from experiencing life and what it can teach them. Yes you can learn from games on a tablet not but not the same thing. All I can say is put those phone, tablets away and turn off those TVs. Go outside and do something

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts